Thursday, July 9, 2009

Ghosts from the past...

Another Theme Thursday is upon us (in a good way:) with a topic that I found interesting and related to my...holiday (with a little imagination added:)!!

For me the word 'ghost' symbolises something that doesn't exist plus the fear of the unknown. So here it goes...

In Zakinthos I went for a swim in a place called "the blue caves". Blue because of the water and the way its color makes your body look...blue. The caves are holes, of all sizes, in rocks and you can even swim in them (my brave friend Maria went for it, I didn't). While in one of these caves the water still had its blue color only to be 'interrupted' by sades of 'black abyss', pieces of sea bottom where you couldn't tell what was down there. This image, enhanced by the sound of the water hitting the rocks and the deafening silence of the surrounding rocky walls, made the experience...ghostly awesome!

Of course every holiday isn't complete without a visit to a museum or two. One of my visits was to a museum in the island where you could find pictures and paintings from the Byzantine times, ruins that were salvaged from a big earthquake in the early 50s. Even though the church that was hosting these paintings doesn't exist, the walls were there to remind you that 50 something years ago they were part of a building filled with life...

My second visit was to the new museum of the Acropolis in Athens. Walking among the ancient statues and signs and reading the marbles that people used to write their daily activities on, had a...spooky effect on me. I always feel that every time archaeologists manage to find a part of past life is like we're searching among the ruins, chasing the ghosts of our past, trying to figure out who we truly are.

I have this little video to accompany the above words but blogger refused to upload it for me :( I'll try again later or I'll post it tomorrow.

Happy TT everyone! Don't forget to check out the other...Theme Thursday Posts!

xoxo

16 comments:

Betsy Brock said...

very spooky!

mouse (aka kimy) said...

I like the thought of swimming in water that makes one blue!

look forward to the vid when blogger decides to cooperate!

xxxxmouse

Brian Miller said...

pining for the vid...shados in the water...oooohhhh...i get the same feeling sometimes walking among relics of old, wondering where they have been....

Debo Hobo said...

Museums tend to have the same effect on me. Old artifacts were used by the living at some point, there spirits are still attached.

Candie said...

Cool Marianna!I'm sure i would have liked going into those caves!Nice to hear a bit about your holidays,can't wait to see the video!Have a nice day sweet Marianna!:)

Wings1295 said...

Interesting. Thanks for sharing with us!

Ronda Laveen said...

There is such a strong energy in relics from the past. This past weekend, we went to an exhibit of Sue, the T-Rex dinosaur. She was absolutely huge. Her head the size of a human. I was lost in imagining what life was like when these creatures ruled. I certainly wouldn't want one tracking me. Great post and I look forward to the clip.

Kate Hanley said...

I love how you linked ghosts to relics. It's true, when you visit an old place, you can't help thinking about those who have gone before.

Baino said...

The blue holes sound amazing and I'm with you on ancient things, to touch something that was made by someone's hands thousands of years ago is pretty damn amazing . . .We lack structural antiquity here but I get the same feeling when I see a wanjina figure painted on a rock or the outline of ancient hands that some aboriginal painted 2000 years ago.

Harnett-Hargrove said...

Hi Marianna,
Any words of Greece sound wonderful. I spent a month on Crete (and Thera) 9 years ago and have been trying to get back ever since!
Looking forward to the visuals...
-Jayne

Leah said...

I can't wait to see the video also! The blue caves really do sound amazing.

Kris McCracken said...

The old Acropolis would have seen its fair share of people come and go!

Liza B. Gonzalez said...

ooooh, those cave sound like a place I would love to visit.

The Silver Fox said...

I've always liked referring to memories as "ghosts."

California Girl said...

sounds like the famous Blue Grotto in Capri.

Megan said...

I'd give my eyes to see the Acropolis.

Oh, wait...

:)