Thursday, May 7, 2009

Wind of change...

It is the first Thursday of May and a 'wind of change' is blowing...can you feel it? For me May is what January is for...the New Year. The first month of 'my' year, since my life started once upon a time, a cool, windy May day (oh dear I'm so dramatic :)...but enough about me.

This week's theme got me thinking. Bob Dylan...blowing in the wind...Scorpions...Dust in the Wind...Wind of change. I guess wind does change a lot...but what does 'wind' symbolize for you and you and you?

For me the "wind" is young people. The generations that are growing up, the generations to come, the generations that think they've grown but still got tons of things to learn. I' m surrounded by young people everyday, my students, and they never seize to amaze me...I give you an excerpt taken from an essay (unabridged and in its original version-uncorrected). It was written by a young girl aged 15, who I had the privilege of knowing and having in my class...

[...] As Helloween say in their song: "Life is too short to cry, long enough to try...our society is bad, war, lies, hypocricity, no one cares about the environment...." with a few words: just desperation! I want the world to be changed. That is just a dream that will not gonna be fulfiled but it's OK...when injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty [...].

I was the teacher in that class or wasn't I? I am not always sure who is teaching whom...

Sing along of you like Karaoke...I know I am and hope you can join me :)



Thank you to this wonderful karaoke channel I found on You Tube. Visit if you wanna sing your heart out!

Peace and love
xoxo


25 comments:

Brian Miller said...

wow, such powerful words from a 15 year old. this seems to be the song of the young generation, tired of the machine that has gripped their families...ready not to unplug, but change the matrix. great post. happy tt

The Silver Fox said...

Life constantly shows us how relative a thing "age" is. It's so easy to look at the young and say "Oh, they think they know everything! Wait until they're older, and know what the world is truly about!" but then, there are other youngsters that seem so wise. And of course, the same holds true for the older ones. Some have gained wisdom through their age and experience, while others are as clueless as the day they were born.

As always, one should not pre-judge. One should look at the individual.

Megan said...

Oh thank you for this post. Lifted my spirits!

Candie said...

wow,thank you Marianna!Great post.
And what that your student wrote is priceless!And I love that song too!And love may as well!Well..I love your theme thursday post,like all your posts actually!

Have a lovely day :)

The Clever Pup said...

Ένα πολύ ωραίο εισόδου περίπου ανέμου. Σε ευχαριστώ.

Ronda Laveen said...

Her comments blow me a way. Such emotion from the feeling of being "stuck." We are all always learing are we not? Love the Scorpions!

Debo Hobo said...

it's amazing how intuitive young people are...

Wings1295 said...

Wow - Great post! Loved it.

Dakota Bear said...

Wisdom has no age.

Love singing along.

Dot-Com said...

I'm in much better form now! Interesting how sometimes age can seem so irrelevant.

Holly said...

Wow, strong words...great thoughts...thanks

New Yorker wannabes said...

Brian: She is great isn't she? Only 15, can you imagine?

The Silver Fox: Thank you for your great comment! I am with you 100% :)

Megan: Happy TT! Happy I made you happy :)

Candie: You are a sweetheart! Thank you for the kind words :)

The Clever Pup: Παρακαλώ! Thank you for commenting in Greek! That was awesome :)

Ronda: Who knows maybe I met a little writer to be :)

Debo hobo: Yeap, they are :)

Wings: Thank you and happy TT :)

Dakota bear: Thanks and I love Karaoke too :)

Dot-Com: As a badge of mine says "young. old. just words" :)

Take care you all
xoxo

New Yorker wannabes said...

Hey Holly! Happy TT and thank you for stopping by :)

xoxo

Baino said...

I love the allegory of younglings being like the wind. I'm very fortunate to be surrounded by some pretty amazing young people even though I'm not a teacher . .they are the wind of change, if only we can empower them to be so! Great post Marianna!

Kris McCracken said...

This one was all over the place when the Berlin Wall fell.

Mrsupole said...

Yes, we do wonder sometimes who is the teacher and who is being taught. Your student writes with so much feeling. I hope her writing is nurtured.

Does this mean your birthday is in May?

Just asking, God bless.

New Yorker wannabes said...

Baino: I feel really lucky to work with young people. Sometimes I think that they are more mature than any person in my age than I know :)

Kris: Yes you are right. It can apply to the world's current situation thought, don't you think?

Mrsupole: Yes my birthday is on May 18th :)

Take care you all
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Kansas also had a tune called "Dust in the Wind". Very sombre tune, as I remember. Your student learned well! Nice post!

Cuppa Jo said...

People are amazing. I remember being amazing at that age, talking about politics and literature and our own lives and the teachers saying that they were amazed not only by collective and individual intelligence, but by a certain wisdom and empathy.

It's nice being amazing, isn't it?

I'll meet you at the Bamboo Club with my microphone...

New Yorker wannabes said...

Hey subtorp77:)

Interesting, off to youTube to hear it! Thanks :)

Take care
xoxo

New Yorker wannabes said...

Cuppa Jo glad I found a karaoke e-buddy :)

So true what you say. People never seize to amaze me everyday. When they stop doing that then...I'll start worrying ;)

Take care
xoxo

Reyjr said...

Winds of Change is a great song to sing at karaoke! Hehe!

New Yorker wannabes said...

Reyjr hi! Karaoke is the best isn't it? I wish we had a decent karaoke bar in my small hometown :(

take care
xoxo

tony said...

Yes Wind could well be Youth.......& Energy.Invisible& everywhere.
Sorry Im late! Every week Im the same, "Theme Thursday" becomes "Theme Saturday Evening"!Anyway........Have A Beezy weekend
Marianna X

New Yorker wannabes said...

Hey Tony!

Glad to 'see' you and hope your weekend has been superb so far! No worries, I have a few "Theme Saturday evenings" myself :)

Have a great Sunday lol
xoxo